Thlopthlocco Tribal Town was formed toward the end of the eighteenth century and was an upper Creek town of the old Creek Confederacy that was situated in Alabama and Georgia in historical times. Thlopthlocco Tribal Town was one of the forty-four (44) or more Creek tribal towns that immigrated to Indian Territory after the famous Removal Treaty of March 24, 1832 was signed. Thlopthlocco (Rvp-Rakko), an upper Creek town, was established near Wetumka Alabama. Rvp-Rakko, (Thlopthlocco) meant "Tall Cane" or "Big Reed" and was situated in the vicinity of a stream on which there was an abundance of cane or reed from which blow guns were made. Thlopthlocco was known as a Red Town and the red towns carried red beads and administered the war functions in Creek history.
During removal, members of the Thlopthlocco Tribal Town settled along the north fork of the North Canadian River and the Town was one of the most western settlements of the Creeks. The Town established its square grounds and rekindled its fire between Wetumka and Okemah Oklahoma. In 1938, Thlopthlocco Tribal Town ratified its constitution and bylaws under the provisions of the Oklahoma Indian Welfare Act of June 26, 1936, and ratified its federal charter of incorporation in 1939. In 1941 the Secretary of the Interior placed 1900 acres of land in trust for the Thlopthlocco Tribal Town for its exclusive use and benefit. On a tract of those lands near the North Canadian River, the Town members constructed a council house made of hand hewn stone.
Presently, the Town owns 2,330 acres of land in Okfuskee and Hughes Counties Oklahoma, consisting of trust and fee simple lands. The tribal town headquarters is located on a 120 acre tract of tribal trust land off Interstate-40 Exit 227 near Okemah in Okfuskee County Oklahoma. The Town's casino enterprise is also headquartered there. The Town is governed by a Business Committee consisting of five elected officers and a five-person advisory council appointed by the officers. The Business Committee is empowered to transact business on behalf of the Town. Among the corporate purposes and powers of the Town is the authority to acquire real property for the Town.