Thlopthlocco Tribal Town was formed toward the end of the eighteenth century and was an upper Creek town of the old Creek Confederacy that was situated in Alabama and Georgia in historical times. Thlopthlocco meant "Tall Cane" or "Big Reed" and was situated in the vicinity of a stream on which there was an abundance of cane or reed from which blow guns were made. Thlopthlocco was known as a Red Town aka Red Sticks, that carried red beads and administered the war functions in Creek society. Thlopthlocco Tribal Town was one of the forty-four (44) or more Creek tribal towns that were forcibly removed to Indian Territory after the infamous Removal Treaty 1832.
During Removal, members of the Thlopthlocco Tribal Town settled along the north fork of the North Canadian River and the Town was one of the most western settlements of the Creek Confederacy. On a tract of those lands near the North Canadian River, the Town members constructed a cannery, market, and council house made of hand-hewn stone. The Town established its ceremonial grounds and church south of Okemah Oklahoma. Thlopthlocco church was once the site of the tribal government and is still active today. In 1938, Thlopthlocco Tribal Town ratified its constitution and bylaws under the provisions of the Oklahoma Indian Welfare Act and ratified its federal charter of incorporation in 1939. In 1941, the Secretary of the Interior placed 1900 acres of land in trust for the Thlopthlocco Tribal Town for its exclusive use and benefit.
Presently, the Town owns 2,330 acres of land in Okfuskee and Hughes Counties Oklahoma, consisting of trust and fee simple lands. The tribal town headquarters is located on a 120 acre tract of tribal trust land just north of Interstate-40 Exit 227 near Okemah in Okfuskee County, Oklahoma. The Town's gaming enterprise, Golden Pony Casino, is also headquartered there. The Town is governed by a Business Committee consisting of five elected officers; the Town King, two Warriors, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Business Committee also has a five-person advisory council appointed by the officers. The Business Committee is empowered to transact governmental functions and business on behalf of the Town. Among the corporate purposes and powers of the Town is the authority to acquire real property for the Town.
Ryan K. Morrow
TOWN KING / MEKKO